Affiliation emerged during the first decade of the 21st century and has significantly contributed to the growth of e-commerce. Based on a high performance model, it prioritises the win-win relationship between e-businesses and affiliates.
WHAT IS AFFILIATION?
So, affiliation is a clever word used to express something very simple and which can be defined as follows: if I am the vendor and if you introduce a customer to me, then I pay you a percentage of the transaction. Therefore, affiliation is the transfer to the Internet of this commercial relationship based on introducing business. In this relationship, the affiliation platform plays the role of trusted intermediary between the vendor and the buyer.
WHY DO WE SPEAK OF WEBMARKETING BASED ON PERFORMANCE?
In fact, we call it Webmarketing based on performance because, with affiliation, the vendor only pays when he has made a sale. Therefore, it is the ideal solution to the wish expressed by advertisers to have a clearly identifiable and controllable ROI for their online communication campaigns.
IS AFFILIATION USED EXCLUSIVELY FOR SELLING?
The affiliation can meet several aims. Clearly, selling is an essential affiliation function. But is can be used for other purposes such as generating prospects, customer data, a reputation, arranging appointments, requests for quotations etc. Different levers will be used to achieve different aims.
WHAT IS THE ROLE PLAYED BY THE AFFILIATION PLATFORM?
An affiliation first and foremost facilitates the relationship between advertisers and affiliates. To achieve this, it federates a network of affiliates that has to be as extensive and diversified as possible in order to meet the sales targets of any advertiser. It also acts as a marketplace, a place where supply and demand meet, and puts in place tracking tools used to quantify the effectiveness of the campaign and, therefore, the affiliates’ remuneration. Throughout the campaign, the affiliation platform keeps in permanent touch with both advertisers and affiliates in order to coordinate, head, organise and optimise campaigns and programmes. Thus, as in business, human relations come first.
WHAT ARE THE LEVERS USED IN AFFILIATION?
There are several levers used in affiliation depending on its goals. The main consideration consists in being thoroughly aware of their respective advantages so that they can be deployed.
- Content publishers use banners, links and widgets.
- Keyworders, specialise in sales links, purchase keywords that are likely to create traffic to the advertiser’s site.
- Price comparison sites forward advertiser offers through their product catalogue search engines.
- E-mailers, owners of opt-in e-mail bases, submit advertiser offering by e-mail.
- Promotional game sites organise games with the aim of producing prospects for the advertiser.
- Discount code sites offer voucher systems for circulating codes opening the way to promotions or special offers.
- Cash-backers remunerate buyers who make purchases on the advertiser’s site via their platform.